Saturday, April 14, 2007

Creative journeys




I'm not sure how well I'll be able to keep up with the blogging......like I need something else to do in my life....it's crazy busy as it is, but I was inpired to give this a go.

I hope to use this space to share some of my hooked rugs and talk about how I've come to be where I am today and why I push myself to do what I do. I'm posting a picture of my very first hooked piece.

With the help of my friend, Reba, this was turned into a little hooking bag that I used religiously until the burlap started to fray and pull apart.....I don't mind hooking on burlap, but by seeing this happen I won't hook anything that I want to last onto burlap as it does tend to where out faster....I think the fraying with this started about 3-4 years after I made the piece.
I still remember how excited I was to travel down to Eureka Springs, Arkansas to Mountain Handcrafts and take my very first hooking lesson from Diane Gay.
I left there with about half of my piece hooked and purchased a hoop, beginner hook, pattern for a Moose on monks cloth and some wools that she let me cut on her cutter that was there at the shop. Needless to say, I had the heart finished by the next day and had hooked up the wools I had bought from her to hook the moose within the next few days!!! I had never found something that I loved so much!! Next I went in search of wools at local thrift stores.....what a charge.....I was looking at thrift stores with new eyes.....jackets were now animals and skirts were skies......this has continued to be an obsession!!!



Tammy

No comments:

Post a Comment