Saturday, February 13, 2010

Mounting and hanging rugs

I just came across 2 sites about mounting and hanging rugs and textiles. 
Click HERE and HERE to read more.
I'm curious as to what methods most of you use?
My favorite way to hang rugs at the moment is to sew a casing on the back with wool and slide a strip of flat aluminum threshold through the casing and then nail that to the wall....it makes the rug lie really flat against the wall.
Here is the best picture I could find of the threshold....make sure it's flat like this.
I'm also curious about the velcro technique that they talk about in the site that I mentioned.

2 comments:

  1. Very informative Tammy....I'm going to bookmark those sites. I can't wait to show you how I bound my latest rug. Went to FM Store and found some sage colored fat fluffy ribbon on cloth tape..Whipped it all around the edge, and but some flat braid on the back to give it a more finished look. It's just adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I take a piece of carpet tack strip - cut it to almost the width of the rug - and nail it to the wall with two small nails. You hand the tack strip with the nails on it pointing up. You gently press the rug onto the nails and it hangs nicely. I like it because you don't have to sew anything onto the rug and you can switch out rugs in the same place as long as they are about the same size. Tack strip is hard to explain but you can buy it at any home improvement place - cheap - and it makes sense when you see it.

    ReplyDelete