Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Gardening

This is the boucle wool that I talked about HERE. I’m using a bit of it in the garden rug, but I think it will make great moss in a future rug.  This is from a vintage coat that I found at a thrift store years ago…..I have quite a bit of it….that’s a good thing!

Sunday, we went to Kenny’s parents for an early birthday celebration where she made her famous pig-pickin’ cake…..Kenny’s favorite.  She usually makes it as a layer cake, but she said it always leans, so this year she just made a 1 layer cake….still tastes the same…..DELICIOUS! Of course Kenny got his candles blown out before I could snap the pictures.

Here is the recipe from the internet…..Kenny’s mom doesn’t put pecans on hers, but I think it would be good either way!  It’s best if it sits in the fridge at least overnight.

Pig Pickin’ Cake

Yield: Makes 12 servings

Ingredients

  • 1  (18.25-ounce) package yellow cake mix
  • 1/3  cup  water
  • 1/3  cup  vegetable oil
  • 3  large eggs
  • 1  (11-ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained
  • 1  (15-ounce) can crushed pineapple, undrained
  • 1  (3.4-ounce) package vanilla instant pudding mix
  • 1  (12-ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
  • 1/2  cup  chopped pecans
  • Garnish: chopped pecans

Preparation

Beat first 4 ingredients in a large bowl at medium speed with an electric mixer until blended. Stir in oranges. Pour batter into 3 greased and floured 8-inch round cakepans. (Layers will be thin.)

Bake at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool layers in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove layers from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks.

Stir together crushed pineapple and next 3 ingredients. Spread pineapple mixture evenly between layers and on top of cake. Chill cake 3 to 4 hours. Garnish, if desired. Store cake in refrigerator.

------

Afterwards, we went by the “Lawn and Garden Show” at the fairgrounds…..it was packed! It was a really rainy day, I guess that’s why it was so busy….people are itching to get out and garden once warm weather hits.

I loved this piece created by a local artist….I didn’t realize it was for sale.

This year there were a lot of beautiful displays from vendors.

As well as seeds, trees, plants and farm and lawn equipment for sale.

Did we leave empty handed? Of course not! Kenny found an evergreen he just had to have…..of course it’s one of those wonderful chartreuse colors that I love! It rode up front with me in the truck.

After seeing all of the inspiration at the garden show, it made me want to come home and work a bit on my garden rug.  I’ve started working a bit on the background….adding elements of sun, sky and earth.

Working the dark earthy colors behind the dark purple flower bud has been a problem, but I decided to add a deep orange around it to make it pop a bit more.

Have a great day! I’m headed off to wrap birthday packages!

5 comments:

  1. The cake sounds refreshing! What a great mom to still bake a cake for her son. Lucky guy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love going to the gardening shows especially after all this snow...gets you in the mood for Spring :) Love those colors in you rug. That cake sounds so good, thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the 'moss' wool! I want to bake that cake but must wait till someone else is here to eat it or we would eat the whole thing! We're going to a home and garden show this weekend ~ uplifting for sure! Just like your blog! Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too LOVE your moss wool what a find!!!!!!!!!! I also wrote out your recipe and will make ot for my son someday.
    Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry I couldn't attend the lawn and garden show. It's just the even that means spring is right around the corner. Love love your new wool! Also, and new rug is just gorgeous! I'm doing really well...have to give yoga the credit on this one. Have a great time in Lenexa....

    dulcy

    ReplyDelete