Monday, April 18, 2011

The best homemade ice cream

“You can’t buy happiness, but you can make ice cream, which is kinda the same thing”

As promised, here is the recipe for the most wonderful homemade ice cream!

I whipped this up for my friend Reba’s birthday,

(it was kind of a surprise, which is why I couldn’t post about it yesterday when I was making it)

but also made a batch for Kenny.

Cream Cheese Ice Cream

Ingredients:

 

In a large saucepan combine 3 cups of the half-and-half or light cream, the sugar, and eggs.



Cook and stir constantly over medium heat just till boiling.  Then take the pan off of the heat.

In a large mixing bowl beat cream cheese with an electric mixer till smooth, gradually beat in hot mixture.



Cover and chill thoroughly……about 4 hours.

Now take some time, to do a little kitchen clean-up.

Once your batter is chilled,  stir in remaining half-and-half,

 

lemon zest,

 

lemon juice,

 

and vanilla.

(I used vanilla bean paste….never heard of it? Neither had I, found it at Marshall’s and thought I’d give it a try)

Freeze in a 4- or 5-quart ice cream freezer according to the directions.

I’m not sure how big my ice cream maker is, but I have to make mine in 2 batches...

there is no way it would all fit in one batch in this little Cuisinart ice cream maker.

Freeze for 4 hours before serving.

Honestly, this is the creamiest ice cream ever!


3 comments:

  1. OH MY GOODNESS Tammy! Heaven!
    Your photos are the best too! I'm seriously thinking of throwing away my scale and never looking back!
    Cathy G

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tammy, this is one recipe that I would definitely make but sadly, I got rid of my big ice cream maker a few years ago. Maybe, I can make it in my Vita Mix. JB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! that looks so good! I bet it tasted wonderful...mmmmmm!

    ReplyDelete