Monday, June 11, 2012

A little green

This weekend, I decided to tackle my slipcovers for the barstools

out in the sunroom.

I decided to challenge myself and pipe them with green trim.

IMG_0901

I have made piping before, but usually it’s been to sew to the

edge of a hooked rug…..I was a little scared….but I proceeded.

I’ll give you updates on how THAT turned out tomorrow.

As for now I’m sharing a little experiment that I’ve been trying….

 

GREEN SMOOTHIES

If you’ve been anywhere on the internet, you’ll un-doubtfully run into them.

These are smoothies made with spinach…..yes, spinach!

I know it sounds gross, but supposedly you can’t taste the spinach from

the other ingredients that you put into them.

I’ve been drinking them for a couple of weeks now and I’m addicted!

This is a great way for ME to get enough veggies into my day, and there

is nothing better than knowing you are getting some veggies right

out of the gate.

What I’m sharing with you today is my

CHOCOLATE CINNAMON GREEN SMOOTHIE

IMG_0902

This is my list of ingredients:

1/2-3/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (can use regular milk, soy milk, coconut water, etc.)

2 big handfuls spinach

1 tsp. matcha

1 Tbsp. chia seeds

sprinkling of ground cinnamon to taste

1 Tbs. almond butter (or any nut butter you like)

1 scoop chocolate protein powder

ice to thicken

*if you don’t have all these “fancy healthy” things like matcha, chia seeds

and chocolate protein powder, just skip those things, use instead say,

walnuts of pecans instead of the chia seeds, maybe a little instant coffee

granules instead of the matcha and cocoa powder instead of protein powder…

obviously not as much as was in the scoop of protein powder, I’d say maybe 1 Tbs cocoa powder

 

First pour in your almond milk

IMG_0903

Then add 2 big handfuls of spinach

IMG_0904

(today, I used 1 spinach and 1 kale…I don’t recommend

using kale if this is your first time making a green smoothie, as it does

have a bit of a bitter taste to it, and then you’re going to undo all

of your goodness by adding sweetener….trust me….use 2 handfuls of spinach if this is your first time)

IMG_0905

Now pack that down in your milk..

IMG_0906

I’m using a hand held Bamix mixer with a chopping blade,

but most people will be using a blender….

Next add in your matcha…

IMG_0907

and chia seeds…

IMG_0908

and sprinkle on your cinnamon…

IMG_0909

Now blend until really smooth…

IMG_0910

IMG_0911

Next, add in your almond butter…

IMG_0912

and chocolate protein powder

IMG_0913

Blend again, and then add your ice if you

want it thicker.  Try a taste and see what you think…

you might need to add more cinnamon, more ice

or if you have a sweet tooth, perhaps a little

stevia, agave syrup or honey.

IMG_0915

Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Would love to try this. Passing it along to my oldest daughter....I see a few of the ingredients that she has already. Looks healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Tammy.......
    I am one of those people who has a huge gag reflex.
    I can tell - I would be gagging as I was adding the ingredients! The smoothie doesn't even have to make it to my lips.
    If I want "GREEN"......I'll eat my broccoli, spinach, kale....etc......matter of fact, I had broccoli for lunch yesterday.
    Girlfriend, you must have an iron gut. Do you really "enjoy" this????? Is it up there with a good green margarita??????
    I rest my case. xoxoxoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do eat lots of fresh fruits and vegetables. And I also LOVE spinach so don't think I would have any problem drinking it.
    Out of curiosity what exactly IS 'matcha' and what does it taste like?

    I've thought of buying a decent piece of equipment to make a smoothie and wonder if what you used splaches uncontrobably outside the Measuring cup, particularly after adding ice.

    Saundra

    ReplyDelete