Sunday, May 1, 2011

A thing of beauty




The Poppy

High on a bright and sunny bed

A scarlet poppy grew

And up it held its staring head,
And thrust it full in view.

Yet no attention did it win,
By all these efforts made,
And less unwelcome had it been
In some retired shade.

Although within its scarlet breast
No sweet perfume was found,
It seemed to think itself the best
Of all the flowers round,

From this I may a hint obtain
And take great care indeed,
Lest I appear as pert and vain
As does this gaudy weed.

By Jane Taylor 1783–1824
 
 
Yesterday I spent part of my day pulling up dandelions and photographing this poppy (the first to bloom in our yard)
…..both weeds I suppose in their own right.

8 comments:

  1. Pretty poppy! I have gobs of them here, but they aren't blooming yet. And yes... I have GOBS of dandelions too & they are blooming!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! We cannot grow them here in Atlanta. Oh wait, I mean I cannot grow them; perhaps there is someone who can make them grow here. Karmen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doesn't it make you want to replicate this poppy color in wool?
    Look at all the variations.
    So, are you going to eat the greens????????? from the dandelions, silly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ohmy...how pretty...and lucky for you to have! (I have fabric called 'Poppy' by Laura Gunn...it's going to make a beautiful quilt.) Thanks for showing us the glory of your garden/backyard with all of the gorgeous photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are so pretentious in the garden I love them!!
    So aptly named!
    Cathy G

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tammy ~
    I just love those poppies, but my, are they invasive. I have them everywhere. Such a delicate flower. I don't think I even have any buds on mine yet. Another gloomy wet day here. I know in August I'll be begging the rain gods for some moisture.
    Hugs :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love a poppy. I had them in my former home and maybe I'll be able to have them again when we move! Beautiful!
    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tammy, that beautiful poppy is a beauty. Mine just died, I don't know if the flood killed it or the cold.

    If it makes you feel better, I've been pulling dandelion all afternoon too and other weed and grass that has invaded one of my flower bed.

    It's so nice chasing after those early blooms with the camera. You always have great shots. Have a great week. JB

    ReplyDelete