Friday, May 11, 2007

In your face!

I'm wanting to do a series of rugs called "In Your Face".....Big Truvy (the basset hound rug that I'm currently working on) is one of them as well as the big Turkey rug that hangs in my rug hooking room. I'm sure that the next one I do will be of my other dog...Cleopatra. After that these are some animals that I am considering.

I just love this shaggy Poitou donkey which I found out is an endangered species....the white around it's eyes is just wonderous!!


The guernsey cow is another consideration.....they have the sweetest faces and my great-grandparents had a dairy farm when I was growing up...they sold their milk in the old glass bottles with paper lids. Guernseys are prided on their rich cream. Seeing guernsey cows brings back wonderful childhood memories for me.



This is a Scottish Highland cow. They are the oldest known cattle breed. Records of this breed's existence date back as far as the 12th century. The breed was first imported into the United States in the late 1880s. They are known for their gentle disposition, hardiness in adverse weather conditions and strong resistance to disease. I love their bangs!!



This is a Texas Longhorn. I saw one of these lying in a field on my way back from Arkansas earlier this spring and just couldn't get it out of my my mind. I can see the face at the right side of the rug with a little bit of horn showing on that side and then having the entire left side of the rug taken up by it's other long horn. I've had a hard time finding close up pictures of their faces....I can see why....I wouldn't want to get up to close to those long horns!!! I've just got to do a white dappled one, because that is what I saw lying in the field.





Of course, who can resist sheep!!! Especiallly this one with all it's long curly hair and adorable face!
If you have any other ideas of animals that would make great "close up" rugs I'd love to hear your suggestions!
Go forth and be creative,
Tammy





3 comments:

  1. Hi Tammy...I love the "In Your Face" idea as well as that picture of the sheep, it reminds me of someone I know...lol..you could always hook big bunny rabbit faces :)..Toni

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did a Google search for sheep face. This one came up. Thanks for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Tammy. I love your cow photo. I would like to paint it. Could I have your permission to use it as a reference? Your animals are terrific. My blogspot is called Velvetdog Studio, if you'd like to check it out. I paint horses and dogs mostly, but your cow is so darn cute.I have a display coming up at Borders Bookstore. Some of the paintings will be for sale,if I were to have your permission and the cow painting sold, I would be happy to donate the Moola (get it?) to the Humane Society. Thanks for giving your consideration. My email is velvetdogstudio@gmail.com.
    Sincerely,
    Suzanne Chamberlin
    Sammamish, WA

    ReplyDelete