Sunday, July 15, 2007

Hungry!

Earlier this summer...or perhaps in the spring I posted this picture of my husband's Dutchman's Pipe vine. It grows up over a trellis and makes a beautiful arbor entry into our side yard.











However.....he came in a couple of days ago holding one of these......














who has been eating like this......


















that's a hungry little caterpillar....okay...there are GOBS of them....a hungry group!!! They must think they are at a Las Vegas buffet the way they are gorging themselves!!!

But, I guess it takes a lot of energy to go from a little black caterpillar to a pipevine swallowtail butterfly.












We had a discussion about whether to spray the vine and get rid of the caterpillars and save the vine, but decided to just let them chow down and pray that we have gobs of beautiful butterflies later on in the season. Score one for beauty!
Go forth and be creative,

Tammy

2 comments:

  1. oh my word...my jaw literally dropped open when I saw that poor chewed up vine...but what a beautiful butterfly :)

    I'm glad ya'll decided not to spray :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tammy,
    Just wanted to say wow! Those butterflies are Beautiful! I love reading your blog and enjoy your pictures so much. Blessings, Katie

    ReplyDelete