Friday, February 24, 2012

Finish Itself

"When you have a great and difficult task, something perhaps almost impossible, if you only work a little at a time, every day a little, suddenly the work will finish itself."
– Isak Dinesen

IMG_0626

8:00 last night I was certainly wishing that this rug WOULD finish itself!

I was sewing my covered cording and had about 5 feet finished when the machine

jammed up.  Really, this was a blessing in disguise, because when I took the

cording out I could see that the bottom thread was all wadded up.

I “googled” the problem, adjusted the tension, ripped out about 3 feet of seam

and then got back to it. We’re talking 21 feet of covered cording to make.

Let me just say that I give the phrase “cussing like a sailor” a whole new

meaning when I sew!

IMG_0627

1/2 a sleeve of Girl Scout cookies later, (yes people, that

is stress eating at it’s finest!) I had the cording finished.

I’m in the clear……

…..or am I?

IMG_0628

Zig-zagging around such a heavy rug was a challenge….

this is one heavy rug!  Even though I was working at the

dining room table, so I’d have more room to distribute the

weight of the rug, it was still frustrating!

However, I persevered and I’m finished with the machine sewing…

now on to the hand-sewing!

Will I have it finished in time to take to Lenexa tomorrow morning?

We’ll see!

7 comments:

  1. So happy that you persevered...this is going to look fantastic! I'm hoping you will get it done, but that's a lot of handsewing. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tammy, your rug us spectacular! If you lived closer, I would have made your cording for you -- I love sewing on my machine! Can't wit to see it completely finished!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to see your rug at the Hook-In. It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to see your rug in person at the Hook-In. It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautiful! I can't wait to see it all finished. Please show us the finished back too!
    Hugs,
    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tammy ~
    I hope you are having a ball at the hook in and taking lots of pictures to share with us!
    I seriously dislike (read hate) binding rugs and I can't imagaine doing one that size. Like Courtney asked, please share the finished rug with us.
    Hugs :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow you have more patience then me - I'm notorious for breaking sewing machines and basically I just zigzag around my rugs - but the beast never cooperates! Can't wait to see the done deal!

    ReplyDelete