Saturday, August 6, 2011

My favorite enchiladas

Today I’m sharing with you my favorite enchilada recipe.
The original recipe is from All Recipes and I’ve modified it a bit
to try and make it a little healthier.
I’d say the main thing is to try and shop (when you can) for items that have as few BAD things as you can…..try to steer away from enchilada sauce that has high fructose corn syrup, or taco seasoning that has a lot of preservatives.  Go low-fat if you want or just use the REAL stuff and eat a little less. I find that it takes me more time in the grocery store these days, because I REALLY take my time to read the labels and make the wisest choices of what I’m eating.
Folks, Americans have become like baby birds…..so many of us just open up our mouths and eat
whatever people put in them

…..start reading labels and knowing what is in that can or package of stuff you are buying! Your body doesn’t know what to do with a lot of the FAKE stuff.
Hey, I’m for sure not saying I’m perfect at doing this, but I am trying to be more conscious of what I eat.
The great thing about this recipe is you can make it with chicken, shrimp, steak, or roasted veggies!

Ingredients
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 3 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - boiled and shredded
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1 (7 ounce) can chopped green chile peppers
  • 1 (1 ounce) package natural taco seasoning mix
  • 1/2 cup low fat sour cream
  • 2 cups low fat cottage cheese
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 pinch ground black pepper
  • 12 (6 inch) whole wheat tortillas
  • 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese (low fat if you can find it)
  • 1 (10 ounce) can red enchilada sauce

(I tried out the Kraft Mexican Authentic Cheese blend in this recipe…..can’t say that I recommend it…..it melted, but had kind of a grainy texture to it)
Directions
  • To Make Meat Mixture: Heat oil in medium skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken, onion and green chile peppers and sauté until browned,



  • then add taco seasoning and prepare meat mixture according to package directions.



  • To Make Cheese Mixture: In a medium bowl mix sour cream with cottage cheese and season with salt and pepper; stir until well blended.


If you need to HIDE the fact that you are using cottage cheese, just use
a hand blender or regular blender and it will have this consistency and they will never know the difference.


  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  • To Assemble Enchiladas: Heat tortillas until soft (I just dampen a few paper towels and put them on the bottom and top of the tortillas and then nuke them for about 20-30 seconds).

  • In each tortilla place a spoonful of meat mixture,

  • a spoonful of cheese mixture

  • and a bit of shredded cheese.

  • Roll tortillas

  • and place in a lightly greased 9x13 inch baking dish seam side down (I sprayed mine with Mazola Pure spray…..it doesn’t have silicone, and really…..do you want to be ingesting silicone if you can help it?!).


Oops….you have meat and cheese mixture and cheese left-over…..GOOOD!!!!!

  • Top with any remaining meat and cheese mixture, enchilada sauce and remaining shredded cheese.




  • Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.


Great with salad and some home-made salsa!

No comments:

Post a Comment