Tuesday, August 16, 2011
Extreme chocolate zucchini brownies
Okay, so I am SO not down with eating a healthy dessert unless it is downright fabulous…….I mean seriously…..I’d rather have a small piece of something decadent and wonderful than a huge piece of something that is healthy and ho-hum.
Readers, may I introduce you to my new acquaintance…….
THE EXTREME CHOCOLATE ZUCCHINI BROWNIE
I found the recipe via TasteSpotting. If you haven’t visited that website….go there soon!
It led me to the website “A Dash of Sass” where I found Kate’s recipe…..go to her website to check out her recipe. I didn’t quite have ALL of the ingredients she used, so my recipe here is the way I made them….I must say that the results were still stellar in my opinion!
If you are craving chocolate, this will not let you down!
I know zucchini in a brownie sounds downright weird, but you really don’t taste it, plus it sneaks in a little veggie!
Extreme Chocolate Zucchini Brownies
2 cups zucchini, grated
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup raw honey
1/4 cup agave syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
1 cup stone ground whole wheat flour
3/4 cup oat flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used Nestle’s)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8 x 8 inch baking pan with parchment paper leaving 1 inch of the paper hanging over the edge to create handles. Spray paper with cooking spray (I use Mazola pure). Set aside.
- Grate zucchini.
Press with a paper towel or between your hands to remove excess moisture. Fluff with a fork, set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together oil, eggs, agave and honey and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, cocoa, salt, baking powder and cinnamon.
Stir to combine.
- Add dry mixture to the wet/zucchini mixture.
Stir to combine.
Add chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool completely.
Remove from pan using parchment paper handles.
I’ve had these warm out of the oven…..delicious!
Warmed up in the microwave with a scoop of Breyer’s Vanilla Ice Cream….divine!
Here’s the nutritional breakdown…..healthy…..yes, healthier than most store bought or brownies from a mix…..remember these are a TREAT! I’m always looking for ways to get away from processed foods…..yes the chocolate chips are processed and I suppose you could leave them out…..but, I’m trying to lean into eating healthy…..
I could have made them sound like they had less calories and made them into 32 servings, but who are we kidding….no one eats a TINY brownie!
Amount Per Serving
Posted by Tammy Burks at 2:54 PM