Friday, January 29, 2010

Broad strokes

The last few nights I’ve been reading…..a lot.  I started reading “It’s Not About the Bike” by Lance Armstrong.  It’s one of those books that I find a hard time putting down.  This is the book in which he shares his journey through triumph, tragedy, transformation, and transcendence. It is the story of a world-famous cyclist and his fight against cancer.

If you know anyone battling cancer this is a must read.

On the hooking side…

I know I opened the can of worms when I talked about all the things that Dulcy and I discussed when I was at her house earlier in the week.  This idea is not earth shattering but it is one of my goals for the upcoming year.  Maybe goal is not the right term….perhaps something I’d like to explore.  I would like to emulate this style of painting that I love…..I am drawn to paintings with big chunky strokes and I’d like to find a technique to get a similar feel with my rug hooking.

“Golden Moment” by Vicki Shuck

Using wider strips?

“The Script” by Daniel Peci

Hooking in blocks of color?

“Dog, Book and Wine” by Kim Roberti

Or perhaps it’s in the drawing of the design and the use of color?

Time will tell.

2 comments:

  1. I look forward to seeing what you create out of all of this. Beautiful paintings, and color. I can see you doing something great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Tammy......once again what a wonderful goal to aim for. Such gorgeous paintings! I'm very jazzed right now about new directions in hooking. I'm getting ready to start another smaller piece using a small silver dish. More later.....

    ReplyDelete