Thursday, January 19, 2012

Comfort

Odd, this has been a really warm winter so far…….

I know that as I type this, that stating that fact, we’ll be in

for some kind of humdinger of snow or ice later on, but

I’m chancing it.

We’ve been craving comfort food here, warmer than usual or not.

Kenny made a great pot of chili that had all kinds of things in it like

beef, bacon, whiskey and beer.

It was called “Red Hot Whiskey Chili” and you can get the recipe HERE.

WARNING….we like hot and I’m not talking 98 degrees, I’m talking spicy!

Kenny put in less than 1/2 as much chipotle peppers in adobo sauce as it called for and it was STILL to spicy hot for us! I added some cheese on top, but it was still hot….added some ketchup and it was still hot!

He thinks he’ll make it again, but leave out the chilies this next time.

My comfort food dish this week was turkey pot pie.

We’d cooked a turkey earlier in the week and I had a few odds and ends of veggies

lying around….carrots, celery, mushrooms, pearl onions, peas…..so I sauteed those in a little butter, added in a can of cream of chicken soup and a little milk and put it in a pie dish.

Pictures of hot pads that my great-grandmother crocheted.

I never saw her crochet, but I think of her every time I use them….

another sort of comfort I suppose.

My mantra, “Use those beautiful things that people have made”

4 comments:

  1. Tammy ~
    How cool to have potholders your great grandma made! I'm glad you are using and enjoying them.
    I pretty much said the same thing about Ohio weather and oh, how it has changed in the last week!
    Pug hugs :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made chili this week, too ~ we put a dollop of sour cream in the middle along with the cheese. That may help tone it down a bit, too! Ours was just right ~ chili pepper, cumin and just a bit of red pepper flakes! Love chili on a cold winter's night! Yours looked yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to go check that recipe out. My hubby like everything hot and spicy...me not so much. But, adding the beer, whiskey and bacon sounds like a great thing to me. New twist at least. Your pictures make my mouth water. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love chili with substance!!!! Kenny's looked fabulous. I wanted to lick the monitor. NOW I am hungry for chili. I buy my spices directly from New Mexico.....yummo.
    Try adding just a tad of sugar to the chili. Not enought to make it sweet. Just enough to cut the fire. Works like a charm.
    Always have a little real sugar around, when you are eating something spicey.

    ReplyDelete