it turned out pretty darn fabulous! This is making me a little braver to try more modifications in
….and yes, the picture of the bread is taken on a Christmas platter…..that’s what I had around
at the time.
Double Chocolate (Whole-Wheat) Banana Bread
(adapted from this recipe at A Full Measure of Happiness)
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/3 C canola oil
- 1/2 C skim milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 t vanilla extract (I used vanilla bean paste….found it at TJ Maxx)
- 1 1/2 C whole-wheat flour
- 1/3 C honey
- 1/8 t salt
- 2 t baking powder
- 1/3 C unsweetened cocoa powder
- heaping 1/2 C bittersweet chocolate chips/morsels
Oops…just realized I don’t have the eggs in the picture of the ingredients!
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
Combine the wet ingredients in your mixer bowl and mix on medium until bananas are mashed.
Add the dry ingredients (salt, baking powder, sugar, flour, cocoa powder, mocha powder, chocolate chips)
and combine until just mixed. Don’t be nervous….this is not a thick batter….kind of thin actually.
Pour the batter into your sprayed/greased bread pan.
Now the best part……lick the bowl….do the raw eggs bother you? Yeah, me neither….I like living dangerously!
Now, put your bread in the oven and bake for about 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Once it’s done, let it cool for a bit and then run a knife around the edge and flip it out onto a platter……
Reviews from Kenny and myself…….
- good texture
- best when warm
- banana-y tasting
- super best when warmed up and served with a scoop of ice cream on top!
- when converting a baking recipe that uses sugar and you decide to use honey instead….
- 1 cup sugar = 3/4 cup honey, also decrease another liquid by about 1/4 cup
- lower your baking temperature 25 degrees
Don’t be a baby bird and just eat anything that people push at you….